Your life expectancy is not 70 nor 80 but should be 120 and that is according to the Bible. Even so, it is more important to know how to live well.What is our life expectancy?
Many of us will say it is 70 and at most 80, quoting
- Psa 90:10 The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away.
- Psa 90:9 For all our days pass away under your wrath; we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
- Psa 90:11 Who considers the power of your anger, and your wrath according to the fear of you?
Biblical Life Expectancy is 120
We have to go all the way back to Genesis to find it.
- Gen_6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.
- Deu 34:7 Moses was 120 years old when he died. His eye was undimmed, and his vigor unabated.
Expect a Long and Healthy Life:
There is no point in having a long life if one is not healthy to enjoy the life. Some people would rather commit suicide because of the sickness of pains or immobility. The Bible wants to emphasize that, as in the case of Moses, it will not just be long but also with vigor and good eye-sight.
If you are sick or weak, then you can base your prayer on this verse and look up the Bible for the healing promises for your recovery. See also Your Healing Prescription for Today, God's Prescription for the Healing of Your Body & ... etc.
Living Meaningfully is more important than living long
- Php 1:23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
- Php 1:24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.
A brother was sharing with me about what abundant life means.
- John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Eventually, 120 years is very Short
We were created not to live a very very long life but rather never to have died at all. Hence, we desire not just to live long but also to live with an eternal perspective. We look forward to meeting all those who have gone earlier than to heaven. With that perspective, may we redeem our time on earth.
May God bless you and keep you with health and purpose.
Lim Liat (c) 26 Apr 2017