The highest calling for all man is "we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us 1 Jn 3:23". It is through knowing Jesus that we can truly know our Father God. It is with Jesus' love that we can love others. This is the NT extension of "Love God and Love others like oneself".
Man is a created being. Created being does not know the answer as to why he was created. We need the answer from the Creator rather than the created. As created beings, we can guess at the answer from the creation, but we will never really and truly know the right answer. Only our Creator can tell us why he created us for.
We need get the "Who am I?" answer from God.
A more meaningful and pertinent question is "Whose am I?"
It provides us relationship, identity and accountability. No one standalone. Identity and life is defined from how we relate to others. Knowing who I belong to, or have relationship with, is of vital importance.
Eph 1:4-5 tells us that God has chosen and predestined to be His sons through Jesus Christ before the foundation of the world.
The sequence of event is like this:
- God planned to create men as His sons through Jesus Christ.
- He created the whole universe for man.
- After the universe is all ready, then He created man. The universe is designed for life - the life of man,
- Man rejected God's leadership and bring forth sin and death.
- Jesus Christ came to die for man and give them a rebirth of new Godly life.
- Through acceptance of Jesus' redemption, man rebirths as Sons of God.
The Amplified Bible gives a very clear picture of our mission in Eph 2:10
- For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live].
- Jer 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- Jos 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
- Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
We are blessed with talents and gifts for a divine purpose that God has created us for. It is up to us to discover what this is. This discovery process may take time. But, let's start now.
Additional information on this can be found in Bible for Business Seminar#4.
To find out how to write a Mission Statement, go to BJ#2 Have a Mission Statement