An article like this one Christmas Timeline of the Biblical Account shows us how poorly our reading of the Bible is. It clarified many misunderstandings we have of the Christmas story such as:
- How many magi/wise men/kings from the East came to worship Jesus?
Not three. But at least two and maybe more than 3. It was not stated in the Bible.
- How old was Jesus when they saw him? Not a baby. But around 1 year old.
- Was Jesus born in a stable? etc.
- They - so there should be at least 2 and likely more but the exact number is not stated.
- the 'Child' - Jesus was not a baby at this time.
- the 'Gifts' - gold, frankincense and myrrh.
- Gold - represent King. Jesus as King of Jews that the wise men came to seek.
- Frankincense - the ingredient for incense to give out the fragrance, showing Jesus as Priest and Jesus himself even as the sacrifice, the frankincense itself, to be offered and burnt up for us to God.
- Myrrh - the ingredient to preserve a dead body. It has a meaning of bitterness. It represents the suffering Son of Man.