While the fifth commandment is about honoring your parents, the Bible only have a few verses on how to honor them. However, in the Chinese culture, the Chinese Classics cover many details about filial-piety, teaching us about the how's of honoring our parents. It seems that the Bible only give the essential and leave the details to your particular culture. It then shows that the Bible does not despise or reject any culture as long as the foundations are biblical. Our cultures and traditions actually enhances the teaching of the Bible and need us to know them well too. Let's see the details.Honor Your Parents
This is the fifth commandment of the Ten Commandments. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.”. (Exodus 20:12, Deuteronomy 5:16). Paul especially emphasized this command in Ephesian 6v1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. v2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— v3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.
How do we honor our parents?
As children, it is about obeying our parents as pointed out by Paul in Eph 6v1 above. Here are more from Solomon:
- Prov 1:8 Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching,
- Prov 13:1 A wise son hears his father's instruction, but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.
- Prov 30:17 The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures.
- Curse Not: Matthew 15:4 For God said, 'Honor your father and mother' and 'Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.'
- Despise Not: Proverbs 23:22 Listen to your father who begot you, And do not despise your mother when she is old.
- Assault Not: Proverbs 19:26 He who assaults his father and drives his mother away Is a shameful and disgraceful son.
–弟子規<入则孝>父母呼 应勿缓 父母命 行勿懒 父母教 须敬听 父母责 须顺承…
–弟子規: 亲爱我 孝何难 亲憎我 孝方贤 亲有过 谏使更 怡吾色 柔吾声 谏不入 悦复谏 号泣随 挞无怨
•〈出则弟〉 When we go out to socialize, we must respect others.
–兄道友 弟道恭 兄弟睦 孝在中 财物轻 怨何生 言语忍 忿自泯