Contrary to popular view, King Nebuchadnezzar was not a tyrant but a mighty, wise and a good king! Learn from him some key lessons to know how to run a great country or a global corporation. The 8 keys are talents, validation, laws, benefits, fair-hearing, 2nd chance, bad-news and true repentance. The negative lesson is telling us not to be proud and to stay humble all the times acknowledging God and the contributions of others.In reading through Daniel chapters one to four, we will encounter the great King Nebuchadnezzar. We will read about his unreasonable demand of "tell me the dream and its interpretation or else be killed", the order to kill the wise men because of their inability to tell him the dream, the order to worship his golden image or be BBQ'ed etc. We are easily left with the impression that he was a big tyrant. However, if we spend a little more time to dig into the details and to reflect on his actions, we cannot but to conclude that he was indeed a wise, mighty, fair and a good king! Here are the details:
1. Talents Management -Select,Develop,Assess,Appoint.
The selection of talent is given in Dan 1:3-4. The Criteria are:
- of royal and nobility ... background is important
- youths ... potential for development and growth, successors.
- without blemish.... no physical defects
- of good appearance ... must look good too!
- skillful in all wisdom ... high IQ
- endowed with knowledge... read widely,
- understanding learning ...... learn quickly
- competent to stand in the king's palace... high EQ, know how to behave, talk confidently and social grace.
- They were given the best food and wine as with the king!
- Educated with the best of the Chaldean's literature and cultures. Everyone is the same company must share the same mission, vision, values and speak the same language for greatest effectiveness and minimum misunderstanding.
- Training period of 3 years. This is the same as the period to get a university bachelor degree!
- Assessment by the king at the end. 2 key points to stress:
- there must be an assessment to check the learning.
- the Boss himself should be involved in assessing his future talents. Dan 1:19-20. The King found them to be 10 times better! There must be some kind of grading system and also showing the care and seriousness in this matter.