Jesus in Luke 12:2 tell us that all things will be revealed. And further in Luke 12:40 He warns that Christ will come at the hour we do not expect. How then shall we live such that we can be ready anytime and all the time? The Ancient Chinese teaching of "慎独" "Be Careful when Alone" gives us additional light.Bible Reference: Luke 12:2-3; Luke 12:35-48
All Will Be Revealed:
When we want to do bad things we will go to some secret places that no one knows thinking that we would not be found out. We may also put up a false front to cover our evil intention inside. But Jesus tells us that all things will be revealed.
- Luk 12:2 Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.
- Luk 12:3 Therefore whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed on the housetops.
- Luk 12:43 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing (awake, dressed, lamp burning, ready to serve) when he comes.
- Luk 12:40 You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”
Book of Centrality: Hence, the wise gentleman is careful even when no one is watching and he is fearful even when no one is hearing. Because the hidden may be revealed and the little may be enlarged and seen. Therefore the gentleman is careful even when he is all alone.
The gentleman is careful not to do any bad thing, even if little, because however little, it will reveal to himself even if others don't know. A gentleman must be true to himself irrespective of whether others know about it or not.
The Book of Great Learning Chapter 7: What is integrity? Not to deceive oneself. If one hates the bad smell or if one love the lovely, that is just being humble (humility is about being true to oneself). Hence a gentleman must be prudent when all alone. The villain does all kinds of bad things when free. When they see gentlemen then they are shocked and so try to cover their bad deeds and to show off their good deeds. However, others can see into internal of lungs and liver, there are no advantages. The inner integrity is revealed in the external behavior. Hence, a gentleman must be prudent even when all alone.
We may be able to hide from people but we can't hide from God and neither from our own conscience.
The lesson for Today:
Count not on won't be discovered but be ready all the time, such that we may found as"the good and faithful servant" when Christ comes again.
Please see also:
- Preparing for Christ 2nd Coming
- Preparing for Christ 2nd Coming - Part 2
- Bible Study 2 Peter 3 Living in End-Times
Lim Liat (c) 20 Dec 2017