2009-08-18

What is Rest?

A sister in Christ asked about "rest". She believed that when Jesus said "rest" he didn't mean "inactivity" or lazing around, it is a state of being. It should not be something we bounce in and out of. So what is it?
Finding the Biblical Meaning of "Rest"
To have the Biblical Answer instead of ours or famous preachers, we must go back to the Bible and let the Bible tells us.

So, run e-Sword, choose a translation, say ESV, or KJV, and search for the word Rest.
Very quickly, we can find verses that are related to Rest. One main set is Mat 11:28-30 where Jesus speak of rest
Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. ....

I will put up a mind-map and break the verses into parts and then meditate on the meaning of each part of the verses.

Here are some conclusions:
  • Rest is found in Jesus's presence. He gives us rest.
  • Purpose of Rest is to refresh, to strengthen us to be able to carry heavy loads easily
  • Rest is a directed effort - "Take my yoke", "Learn of Me". It is like exercise! Except excercise makes your budy tired.
  • Rest of Soul (v30) - peace of mind is found in learning from Jesus.
    I think this Rest means not just physical rest but Peace of Mind (pt 4), stress free or worry free or care free. So, I check other translations to see if anyone think like me... Yes

    (BBE) Come to me, all you who are troubled and weighted down with care, and I will give you rest.

    The Messsage Bible gives a similar one with a new twist - Religious Freedom.
    (MSG) "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest.
    Is the MSG bible correct? I found one relevant verset in Luke 11:46 Religious Rules Burden.

  • Going to other verses, I discover there are other meaning of Rest...
  • I can also look up the orginal Greek word to discover some meaning... and follow the chain of the Greek word rather than the English REST word.
See the attached mind-map for the discovery of the meaning of REST.

and you can conclude .....

So what is Rest? How does it apply to me?
1. To have a stress-free, refreshed mental state, and peace of mind --- learn of Jesus. Rest is obtained by exerting mental learning and heart to heart talk to Jesus.
2. There is a Sabbath rest - time with God - worship and enjoying His presence.
3. There is the Rest of Completion - Work all done by Jesus. We need not try to strive for something we already have. We work it out from the inside.
4. There is time for physical rest; to allow your body to recover.
5. Rest is about going Home too where we are most comfortable .... one day that will be our heaven.
6. Rest is about waiting for the right time.... don't rush, don't fuss,... at the right time, it will happen.

It took me about 2 hours to do all these.

Hope all have learned how to study the Bible to find the right answer.

No comments: