2017-05-01

The Make-up of A Believer

What is man made of? A typical answer is man is a spirit with a soul living in a body. What then, is the difference between a believer and a non-believer? Here is the answer.
What is man made of?

The common answer is that man is a tripartite being with a spirit, a soul and living in a body. Most people can't differentiate the soul and spirit and they are combined as one. The Chinese use the combination of 灵魂 spirit and soul to refer to a person. 心 heart representing not just the heart but also of the mind is used to refer to the inner being of man.  But Word of God can differentiate spirit and soul as in Hebrews 4:12 (NET) For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart. ©NET

See The Tripartite Man and Salvation of Tripartite Man - The Details

So, we know a man has spirit, soul, and body.

So what is the difference between a believer and a non-believer?
The believer has the Christ in them whereas a non-believer has not.

Colossians 1:27 To them God would make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Jesus told us that in:

Joh 14:19 Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.
21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Our body becomes the temple of the Holy Spirit:
1Co 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Our Response should be:

  • Rom 12:1  I appeal to you, therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
We are to be a living, not a dead, sacrifice ---- i.e. putting God's first in our life and not ourselves. This is actually the first 4 commandments of the Ten-commandments.
  • Rom 12:2  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Our past thinking and mindset need to be changed, re-oriented and transformed by the new knowledge of God and His love for us. Putting God as first is opposite to the old life of putting ourselves as first. We need to get to know God, His Love, His Will and His attributes. Let such new knowledge of God changes us. As we stay obedient to His Word and Will and will soon discover that His Will is indeed for our good.

Our living should be as Paul said the same thing in a different way in:

◄ Galatians 2:20 ►I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

So, the key difference between believers and non-believer is simple "Is Christ in You or Not?"

How should the life be different if there is a Christ within?

I need to move over and let Christ takes charge. I need to draw from His strength and grace. Drawing comes from spending time with Him in worship, study, and sharing. This is how we build up our inner life. Jesus told us in another way, John 15:1-8 Vine & Fruits - Keys to Success.

Lim Liat (c) 1 May 2017

No comments: