In the Old Testament, there was a plan by God to put a new heart in men, in Jeremiah 31:33. The author of Hebrew referred to it again to confirm the fulfillment.
- “I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people” (Jer. 31:33; cf. Heb. 8:10).
- Hebrews 10:16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,”
Paul puts in very positively as in:
- Ephesians 4:24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Responding to Our New Heart
James teaches us what we should do with our new heart in
- James 1:21 (ASV) Wherefore putting away all filthiness and overflowing of wickedness, receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
- with meekness
- the implanted word,
- which is able to save your souls.
Power of the Implanted Words
- Psa 107:20 He sent out his word and healed them, and delivered them from their destruction.
Guard Our Mouth
- Pro 13:3 Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.
So we do both. Be careful as to what we receive, making sure we receive those that go through the filter of our new heart and also to speak out those that are filtered through our new heart. Then you shall be a good testimony for God as a shining light.
Lim Liat (c) 3 May 2017