8 simple principles for success in life from Proverbs 18. A reflection for our life even for those that are of age. There is always time to change for the better.On quick reading, each chapter of Proverbs seem to be just a loose collection of words of wisdom and it is difficult to link up the verses for a main theme. It will take a bit longer time and more intensive study to find the linkage. Here is a attempt for Prov 18. Below is the mind-map showing the main theme and sub themes.
Don't be a lone ranger. He who isolates himself is selfish and self-seeking. It is not sound. It important to have 2 types of relationships - with God (Principle 3) and with People (Principle 8).
2. Be Wise & Not a Fool
- Fool just talk without wanting to learn. They lack understanding. Wisdom begins with learning and refreshes oneself and others without end.
- Wisdom is about being fair and objective. Not to be unjust.
- Seek Knowledge
- Seek multiple views
- Wickedness -> contempt & dishonor ->disgrace.
- The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.
- Don't talk foolishly that leads to a fight and invites a beating. (See Principle 8 on how to build relationships and prevent quarrels)
- Story telling impresses - Don't gossip. But use stories to reach out the mind and touches the heart of people.
- Teaching satisfies the soul and benefits others. Be willing to be coach and helps others.
- The Power of Life and Death is in the tongue and we need to use it to have good fruits.
- laziness/slackness brings forth destruction
- Wealth has power and take the initiative. The poor have to beg for a living. Hence ....
- Create wealth by starting and running profitable business.
- Use wealth to impact and benefit the world and not to hoard it or be enslaved by it.
- humility -> honor
- hope lift life and give you confidence to start, continue and to accomplish.
- Don't be a lone ranger (see Principle 1)
- Relationship begins with being good to people. Make Friends by Giving good things e.g. Gifts.
- Don't Offend & Quarrel with others. Offense and unresolved quarrels are big barriers to friendship. They are difficult to unwind when committed.
- Find the Right Friend.
It is not the quantity but the quality that count in friendship. Be careful in choosing your close friends.Those that care about your well-being and is able to correct your mistakes and also to support you in your time of troubles.
- Find the Right Spouse
Ask God for a favor to help you find the right one. Open your eyes wide and be choosy. But after the marriage, make sure you are the right one with favor of God.