We covered the 2nd point of "Appreciation Situations" that not completed due to lack of time. That is to understand the trend and be ready all the time and at any time. We covered Porter's Five Competitive Forces that determines the profitability of a business in the medium & long run.
With the materials given in BJ#6 Strategies the following additional points were added:
- The Beatitudes of Mat 5 could be seen as the "Commandments" of NT. These are positive commands - be meek, seek righteousness, be merciful, be pure, be peace-makers etc. This list is comparable to James 3:17. We should and are able to do all these because we are rebirthed as children of God with Jesus in us. We gave the business viewpoints of those virtues.
- Branding & Communications - we should have strategies to create our brand, deliver to expectation and to communicate. We are light for the world to see that bring glory to God. We cited Mat 6:1-4 charity giving, 6:17-19 fasting not as exaltation not to tell but exaltation not to be hypocrites. We are not to give to charity to gain glory or to fast to show our piety. Branding is both - telling and fulfilling the expectation. Branding is a promise. Branding should have consistency of experience, look-and-feel, quality, differentiation and repeated exposure. All strategies, while described in details, should have a tagline for ease of communication and memory. e.g. Customer Intimacy, or High Touch Experience, Operational Excellence etc.
- Cutting costs uniformly, cutting marketing, training etc are short-term methods with harms on the future. The better method is to cut wisely. Cut the dead weights either in offerings or customers. Be innovative to do more with less. Build employees enthusiam. Outsourcing wisely.
- In the Globalization Strategy of the Church, we stressed how God used Saul to get the church to move out of Jerusalem. We sometimes need to have or to create crisis to move us out of our comfort zone to move into higher plane. God used Paul to address a wider market segment - from the Jews to the Gentiles and setting up an HQ in Antioch to address to expanded market.
- The Strategies Check List is summarized as:
- Support the Values of Corporations
- Pursue Differentiation & Excellent / Perfection
- Building Relationships – Customers, Staff, Suppliers
- Branding (Authentic Experience) & Communications
- Be Lean – Cut Losses, Remove Dead weights.
- Take Positive Initiatives
- Work with Your Competitors Wisely
- Do the Talk
- Internalized by Staff
The overall score is 84% with the highest score to Speaker Knowledge, Subject Area Coverage, and the lower scores to length of talk 74% and time of talk 66%.
- Cut loss & stop bleeding, prune the tree so that it bear more fruit
- Toyota sharing their technology and expertise with competitor & supplier
- Cut loses & Stop Bleedings It is very practical.
- Pt 6 take positive initiatives - nuggets of biblical truths which can apply even for personal working life.
- Also more examples given this time to explain & expand the various points
- Ending seems a bit hasty, probably due to the shortage of time.
- Give assignments for completion
- It will be good to slow down and not to cover too much information in such a short time