2007-09-26

Changing Behaviour (3) - Changing Mindset

Continuing from Changing Behavior (2) - Causes,


Here are 11 ways to change our mindset (thinking).

#1 Create & Shared a Viable Vision
A study on Philippians of Paul's ability to have joy even in prison discover the following keys:
a. Mission
  • Php 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
  • Php 1:27 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ
  • Php 1:25 shine a light in the world1:29 suffer for His sake
b. Love
  • Php 4:6-7. Pray and Receive.
c. Victory
  • Phi 1:6 he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
  • 2Co 2:14 always leads us in triumph
d. Run towards the Goal
  • Php 3:13-14 ...But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, (14) I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

#2 Reason with Facts & Seeing Realities
An example in bringing unity in Corinthians.
  • 1Co 1:12 What I mean is that each one of you says, "I follow Paul," or "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Cephas," or "I follow Christ." 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

#3 Give Feedback - Consequences of the Behavior
  • e.g. Some bosses like to use "scolding" to get the right behavior from their staff. If only someone gives the feedback that it did not get desire result but actually created anger, defensiveness, depression, fear and eventually poor performance, they would use other means.

    #4 Trust - I believe in You.
    • 1Co 1:4 I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus
    • Phm 1:4 I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers
    • Col 1:3 We always thank God, ..., when we pray for you
    • Php 1:3 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you
    • Eph 1:16 I do not cease to give thanks... in my prayers,

    #5 Establish Urgency or Forced by a Crisis
    Real World Crisis or Simulated Crisis
    Example: Conversion of Paul
    • Act 9:4 And falling to the ground he heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?"

    #6 Form Partnership
    • you need enough "power" to change
    • Act 13:46 And Paul and Barnabas
    • Act 15:40 but Paul chose Silas
    • Col 1:1 Paul & Timothy
    • 1Th 1:1 Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy
    • 1Co 1:1 Paul, ...and our brother Sosthenes,

    #7 Remove Obstacles & Provide Resources
    Reduce the obstacles to desire to change, or provide enough resources to overcome the hurdle.


    #8 Create Short-Term Wins
    Break a giant leap into smaller steps, climbing one step at a time


    #9 Celebrate Success
    Keep motivated with celebration and rewards.
    Minds can be changed when sufficient rewards (or punishments) are invoked.


    #10 Consolidate & Continue
    build momentum with the many, small victories, and continue on this path, stay the course,


    #11 Make it a Habit - Procedure & Practice
    • Find out the factors for success
    • Write it Down and Make it a Practice.
    • Share it will Others - Within the Corporate

    To make a good idea into a good habit:

    e.g. to listen more and talk less.
    1. Convert to a Goal and state the benefits.
      e.g. To listen rightly so that there is no misunderstanding.
    2. Make it a task that can be acted upon.
      e.g. I will listen and not interrupt the speaker.
    3. Have a measure and set a target.
      e.g. # of interruptions per day. Target is 0.
    4. Write an affirmation and repeat it frequently.
      e.g. I listen intently and don't interrupt.
    5. Act on it periodically - best daily, weekly, monthly.
      e.g. At end of each conversation, reflect on the interruptions made.
    6. Review it as frequently.
      e.g. At end of the day, review the accomplishments and see any correction needed.
    7. Get someone to monitor, support and hold us accountable as per review.
      e.g. That someone calls us daily to ask about our progress.
    8. A habit is formed after 21 repeated attempts.
    9. Share the experience and benefits with others.

      No comments: