The typical Bible references for Holy Communion are 1Cor11:23-27, Mat 26:26-28, Mar_14:22-24. There is another reference in
- 1Co 10:16-17 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.
- WE ARE ALL ONE IN CHRIST. 1 Co 10:16-17.
- I am loved by Jesus. I love others with Jesus’ love and are loved by others.
- We are to see ourselves as members of the same body with Jesus Christ as our head. Christ’s Body is complete when we each play our part and then we are complete too. (Our identity is defined in relation to others).
- We are to appreciate the differences and talents that each member brings, not wanting them to be the same as us, but letting them and helping them to discover their calling and to fulfill their callings by God.
- We are to forgive and encourage one another to good work as are led by Christ, our Head
- HIS BODY WAS BROKEN SO THAT OUR BODY CAN BE WHOLE
- Isa 53:5, 1 Pet 2:24 with his stripes we are healed.
- Hence, when we partake the Holy Communion, we also receive our healing for our complete being of Spirit, Soul, and Body.
- HIS BLOOD SEALED THE COVENANT OF OUR NEW IDENTITY
- The Covenant between God and Man is sealed between God and Jesus representing men with the shedding of His blood. This covenant cannot be broken.
- Because of the New Covenant, we are therefore
- A New Creation 2 Cor 5:17. We are new reborn children of God.
- Our sins are not just forgiven but eliminated with the Rebirth.
- We have Jesus' righteousness, authority, inheritances, and blessings.
- See yourself in your new Christ-like identity. 1 John 4:17, As He is so are we in this world.
- WE PREPARE TO RECEIVE CHRIST 2ND COMING NOW
- This is the new revelation to me. We are to be reminded daily to prepare, get ready, to receive our King Jesus Christ.
Rev 19:7 Let us rejoice... for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready;
- Eph 5:25-27 Christ is preparing His bride in splendor and without blemish. Christ is coming for a glorious church; not a church in weaknesses and sins and poverty etc...
- This is not waiting in idle, but getting busy in preparation for the reception.
Luke 19:13 Occupy till I come; or in some other translation, do business till I come.
- We want to be the good steward that He may say ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ Mat 25:23
Update 4 Feb 2012 The Spiritual Meaning & Practice of Eating and Drinking
In partaking the Holy Communion, we do the physical eating of the bread and drinking of wine/grape juice. Jesus first mentioned it in John 6:35-58. See Bible Study John 6b Bread of Life & How to Eat it. In particular, Joh 6:56 He who eats & drink me lives in me, and I in him. The spiritual meaning of the eating and drinking is to abide in Jesus - reading, feeding and doing His Words and drawing strength from His Life in us.
Lim Liat (c) 31-7-08/4-2-12