Here is the visual map of Romans 8:1-16.
I have number of concepts so that you can follow it. It is just a starting point. You may start with any concept you like.
The Key Concepts
- New Man.
- The difference between a believer and a non-believer is the concept of a born again New-Man by the Spirit of God. Our spirit is rebirth and is connected to the Spirit of God.
- Our body remains the same.
- Old Man.
- The key differentiation of old vs new is that old is ruled by the Flesh whereas the new is ruled by the Spirit.
- The Flesh has sin because the Flesh want to be his own God and does not recognize the true Creator God as God. Rom 8:7-8 tell us clearly that the will of the Flesh is against God.
- This sin of the Flesh causes the body to walk in unrighteousness and brings forth death.
- The only way to get rid of sin in the Body is through Jesus Christ 8:3 and be rebirthed into Christ (Node 6) and then we become children of God.
- Spirit of the New Man
- The Spirit of the New Man is life and peace (with God too).
- It has the righteousness of Christ (not the self-righteousness of our Flesh).
- It is freed from sin and fear.
- It is child of God.
- We know God as our Father in our spirit and we cry through our body to call God as Abba (an intimate way of addressing our loving father).
- Can be led either by our Spirit or by our Flesh.
- If led by our Spirit (rebirthed of God), the our body does work of righteousness and bring forth greater vitality of life and eventual eternal life with God.
- If led by our Flesh through its passion, we walk in unrighteousness and is a living death or dying and eventual to eternal death.
- Is not the body but of a mind, mind of the Flesh.
Tim Keller defines Flesh as the mindset of man wanting to be his own god and to be in total control. See The Keys to Peace and Joy - Learning from Tim Keller
- It is against God. Cannot please God, Actually rejects God and wanting itself to be God. Adam's partaking the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is essentially telling God the he wanted to be his own judge of what is right or wrong. He does not want to be accountable to God but to himself.
- The consequence is death - existence in separation from the Source of Life --- God.
- In-Christ - Our New Membership in the Body of Christ
- We shall have no condemnation.
- We have fulfilled the Law in Christ.
- We are sons of God.
- We follow the new Law of Life of God.