Death is the sure proof that we are not in charge, even of our own life. We need to know the everlasting One who holds our life in His hands. He foresaw our sufferings and sins and sent His Son Jesus Christ to restore us back to Him. Will we be willing to receive Jesus Christ? Then we can know how to live life meaningfully. Let's look into Psalm 90 for the details....Here is the mindmap with my reflection on each verse.
The Everlasting Creator God
- O Lord, you have been our refuge throughout every generation. Psa 90:1 God is our security. Why don't you seek and be with God?
- Before the mountains were born, before you gave birth to the earth and the world, you were God. You are God from everlasting to everlasting. Psa 90:2
The everlastingness of God is compared with the short life of man
- You turn mortals back into dust and say, "Return, descendants of Adam." Psa 90:3
Death is the sure proof that man is not in charge, even of one own life!
- Indeed, in your sight, a thousand years are like a single day, like yesterday-already past- like an hour in the night. Psa 90:4
God transcends time. What is long to man is nothing to God. Our short life on earth is, in fact, a grace of God. Many did not make it out of their mother wombs, Many were taken when young. May we appreciate this life that we have now
- You sweep mortals away. They are a dream. They sprout again in the morning like cut grass. Psa 90:5
In the morning they blossom and sprout. In the evening they wither and dry up. Psa 90:6 It is God who is in charge, not us. Do we not fear God, o mortal man?
- Indeed, your anger consumes us. Your rage terrifies us. Psa 90:7
Why is God angry with us? Because we created beings have ignored our Creator and want to do our own things, even evil things against Him and against one another.
- You have set our sins in front of you. You have put our secret sins in the light of your presence. Psa 90:8
We may hide our sins in our legal systems. We set up laws to justify our sins. But we cannot fool God. We even can't fool ourselves as our guilt arises to condemn us.
- Indeed, all our days slip away because of your fury. We live out our years like one long sigh. Psa 90:9
- Each of us lives for 70 years- or even 80 if we are in good health. But the best of them bring trouble and misery.Indeed, they are soon gone, and we fly away. Psa 90:10 Even if our own lives are healthy and well. We live to suffer through the sufferings of others, the separation with our loved ones. As we get older, time seems to move faster. Are we prepare for our own death where we leave this world?
- Who fully understands the power of your anger? A person fears you more when he better understands your fury. Psa 90:11
God's anger is but a reflection of His love and justice for us. He had to right the evils done by men. He hates to see the suffering that men bring upon themselves. Will we not listen to Him?
- Teach us to number each of our days so that we may grow in wisdom. Psa 90:12
Let's live each moment meaningfully. It begins with having wisdom. The wisdom that knows God and understands what are the important things of life. The wisdom that discerns right and wrong and let us choose the right path.
- Return, LORD! How long...? Change your plans about us, your servants. Psa 90:13 This prayer was made by Moses, before the arrival of Jesus Christ. God has indeed answered our prayer by sending His Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. To rescue us from the consequence of our sins. Will we respond to God's saving grace?
- Satisfy us every morning with your mercy so that we may sing joyfully and rejoice all our days. Psa 90:14
May we begin each day with joy and vitality ---- because we are secured in the love of God. Because we have chosen Jesus Christ to be our Savior and Lord. We will follow Him.
- Make us rejoice for as many days as you have made us suffer, for as many years as we have experienced evil. Psa 90:15
God will make good what we have suffered. God will restore us. May we be His witness and testimonies of His Love to others and draw them back to God.
- Let us, your servants, see what you can do. Let our children see your glorious power. Psa 90:16
Yes. Let God's power be shown. Let's experience His miracles.
- Let the kindness of the Lord our God be with us. Make us successful in everything we do. Yes, make us successful in everything we do. Psa 90:17
Let our work begins with the kindness of God within. It is His love and His purpose that our work begins. It is His love and His power that our work be successfully completed that people may know the goodness of God. God is glorified through us. Mat 5:16 ►... let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Lim Liat (c) 21-04-15