Below is the mind-map that summarizes the discussion:
The key points are:
- training is needed and should start as early as possible ... when he is a child.
- the content of the training should be focused on the way he should go.
Other relevant parts of the Bible tell us the 'way' is the commandments of God.
- the benefits: even when he grow old he will still follow the ways he was trained since young.
i.e. Character formation begins as a child and will last through his life. It must begin as early as possible.
Implication: as we grow older, it will be more difficult to correct a habit or behavior.
The Chinese says that the parent responsibility for their children is 教养 teach and feed. Giving food and care for the child is just one of two responsibilities of a parent, The other key responsibility is to teach or train the child. A person that misbehaved is said to have no family teaching and is taken as an insult. For more on Chinese Chinese Words Make You Smarter.
The AMPlified Bible translation combine the both concepts of training content and method together.
- instructions of the Lord.
- Training is for behavior and character formation. The child needs to be monitored and correct as and when necessary.
- How do we not provoke the child, especially in the disciplining?
- We must know the character or traits and age/maturity of the child. Some child is very sensitive and will know the meaning when his/her parent changes the tone of voice. Some child is not and may need stronger means of correction such as a canning. If we overdo the disciplining, some child may be so discouraged that they give up while another may be so angry to rebel in the future.