The parable of the laborers in the vineyard is the best example of generosity. Generosity is about giving what they deserve not. Let's us not be red-eyed and complain about the generosity of others. Let's rejoice in the generosity of others and be generous ourselves.It is generally agree that Christmas is time of giving. The spirit of Christmas is then about generosity - giving much more than what one deserves or don't deserve. Among the parables that Jesus told, which one do you think exhibits this generosity best? For me, it is "The Laborers in the Vineyard (Matt.20:1-16)".
It begins with ""For the kingdom of heaven is like" showing us that "Generosity" is the working principle of the God. The vineyard owner went out to the market at 5 different times to hire the laborers. The first one at official working time of 0th hour (likely 6 am in the morning). Then he went out again at the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 11th hour.
Two Types of Contracts.
However, there are only two types of contract.
- Type 1 Negotiated Agreement - Performance Base:
1 day work for 1 day-wage (1 denarius) Mat 20:2.
The 0th hour workers bargained for and got it.
- Type 2 Trust : "whatever is right I will give you" Mat 20:4
The 3rd, 6th, 9th and 11th laborers were happy to be hired and trust the owner to pay them accordingly.
- Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? (Mat 20:13)
- Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. (Mat 20:14)
- Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own?
- Or is your eye envious because I am generous?' (Mat 20:15)