I
It Is Good for Me That I Have Been Afflicted
✝️ It Is Good for Me That I Have Been Afflicted
Psalm 119:71 — “...that I might learn Your statutes.”
Psalm 119:71 — “...that I might learn Your statutes.”
Affliction is not pleasant — but it can be good. 🌱 Not because pain is good, but because of what the Father produces through it. Yet affliction is not the only teacher — and not the one He prefers.
☀️ The Positive Path — Delight
Learning God’s Word with joy — obeying out of love, enjoying the blessing it brings.
“I delight in Your statutes.” (v.16)
“How sweet are Your words!” (v.103)
“I rejoice in Your testimonies.” (v.14)
“How sweet are Your words!” (v.103)
“I rejoice in Your testimonies.” (v.14)
This is the Father’s preference for His children. 💚
🌧️ The Negative Path — Discipline
The wayward son wanders, suffers, and is drawn home by a loving Father.
“Before I was afflicted I went astray.” (v.67)
“Whom the Lord loves He chastens.” (Heb.12:6)
“Whom the Lord loves He chastens.” (Heb.12:6)
This is the Father’s mercy when the child strays. 🕊️
⚖️ Discipline, Not Punishment
| Punishment (Judge) | Discipline (Father) |
|---|---|
| Pays back sin | Trains out of sin |
| Aims at justice | Aims at restoration |
| Ends in wrath | Ends in peace |
✝️ Christ bore all punishment (Rom. 8:1). What remains for believers is a Father’s loving correction — reluctant, purposeful, temporary, fruitful (Lam. 3:33; Heb. 12:10–11).
👨👦 Discipline Proves Sonship. If you are corrected, you are a son — not an orphan. Better the painful correction of a loving Father than the undisturbed ease of a forgotten child. 💙
🌅 “Afterward...” (Heb. 12:11) In the moment — pain. In the fruit — peace. The psalmist writes from the afterward, and from there he can say: “It is good.”
🙏 A Prayer
Father, I am prone to wander. Thank You that You do not leave me to myself — Your discipline proves Your love and my sonship. But I would rather learn in the light. Give me a heart that delights in Your statutes — obeying not to escape the rod, but to enjoy the blessing. Train me, and I will be trained. Make me a son who stays close to the Father’s house. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Father, I am prone to wander. Thank You that You do not leave me to myself — Your discipline proves Your love and my sonship. But I would rather learn in the light. Give me a heart that delights in Your statutes — obeying not to escape the rod, but to enjoy the blessing. Train me, and I will be trained. Make me a son who stays close to the Father’s house. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
📝 Reflect
- What has affliction taught you that ease never could?
- Are you learning through delight — or waiting to be taught through discipline?
- Can you look back on a past suffering and call it good?
The affliction is good because the Father is good. 💜
But His goodness shines clearest when we don’t need the affliction at all.
But His goodness shines clearest when we don’t need the affliction at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment